Sunday, October 31, 2010

10 FAVORITES (8) - Halloween PART IV: CANDY!!!!

HALLOWEEN EDITION #4

Happy Halloween Everyone! Today's blog post is dedicated to that all-important part of the scary holiday: CANDY!!!!!! Let's face it, it's the candy that makes Halloween many people's favorite holiday. What other time of year can you go into Target or Wal-Mart and get massive bags of candy at discount prices? Okay, maybe Valentine's Day. But on Halloween, it's dark, spooky and cool. In honor of all that, this week's edition of 10 FAVORITES is devoted to the sweets that I love. When it comes to candy, everyone has their personal favorites and these are mine. So, if you disagree or would like to share your favorite candies, feel free to comment (nicely!).

TOP 10 FAVORITE CANDIES!

HONORABLE MENTION
Willy Wonka Candies (Nerds, Runts, SweeTarts, Gobstoppers and Laffy Taffy)
If you're like me, you grew up watching the now classic film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory starring Gene Wilder as the titular eccentric candy maker. The Wonka Candy Company was created to promote the film and their best candies are the ones listed above. My brother was (and IS) a great fan of Nerds, while I loved Runts and we both enjoyed SweeTarts!

CANDY #10
Gummi Bears
Yes there are also Gummi Worms, Gummi Fish, Gummi Dinosaurs and what have you. They are all variations on a theme and it is the classic Gummi Bears that put a smile on my face. Cutesy, yes, but soooo good!

CANDY #9
Milk Duds
This is my go-to "Movie Candy." Anytime I go to the movies, I get a box of Milk Duds no matter what kind of movie! No wonder they love me in Hershey, PA!

CANDY #8
Candy Corn
Probably one of the most generic candies on the list. There's no particular brand I love over the other. Whether it be Brach's or Jelly Belly or whatever, Candy Corn is a delicious favorite.

CANDY #7
M&M's
Had you asked me to make this list 10 or 15 years ago, M&M's would probably be higher. But they are still on the list and these classics (be they Plain or Peanut) are a staple in my family.

CANDY #6
Snickers
It has been in recent years that Snickers has become a bigger favorite of mine. It certainly was a huge favorite of my Mother (may she rest in peace). Maybe in time, it could make its way to #1!

CANDY #5
Red Vines
Red Vines are just plain good. Whether in a box at the movies (my other candy at the movies!) or in a big Costco-size bucket, Red Vines rock!

CANDY #4
Kit Kat
This candy combined a chocolate candy bar with a wafer cookie. How much more could you ask for? Plus, it was one of the few candies that had a great commercial jingle to go along with it ("Give Me a Break!").

CANDY #3
Mike N Ikes
I don't know how I got into this candy, but once I did...boy, did I!!! They are like Jelly Beans, but not. I don't know what it is about them, but I just love them.

CANDY #2
Hershey Kisses
This is just a standard. One of the first candies I just adored. Both of my grandmothers had Kisses in their candy dishes. I loved asking for a Kiss and getting a foil wrapped chocolate!

AND...
CANDY #1
Reese's Pieces
Amongst my friends and family, I think I am in the minority but I LOVE Reese's Pieces. Maybe its the chocolate. Maybe its the peanut butter. Maybe its the E.T. connection (Product Placement! Woo Hoo!). But no matter what it is, I absolutely love them.

So, there you have it: My 10 FAVORITE Candies. I hope your favorite is on this list somewhere and if not, let me know. And in the meantime...
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment